A Guide on How to do Paint by Numbers and How to Start
So, you have decided to start the art of painting by numbers. Well, you have made a great choice for your mental health and general well-being. Are you going to indulge in creating the kit by yourself or are you going to make it an activity with your loved ones? Whichever it may be, this guide on how to do paint by numbers art is worth reading. Even though you have nothing to worry about the materials since what we have provided is already complete, there are some additional things that you need to prepare to make the creative process more enjoyable and relaxing. So in this regard, we will be providing you a list of the additional tools that you need, the tips and tricks that you can use to make the canvas look better, as well as a detailed guide on what to do after you finish painting your canvas. Before you officially start painting by numbers, which we know you’re very excited about, read this article first to give you the head start you need!
Painting is a very relaxing activity, especially when you’re not frustrated with the instructions and the possible mistakes that you'll make, and the possible remedies that you can think of. Hence, being prepared for what might happen by having solid background knowledge about the basics of this art form. To help you get prepared, let’s take a look at the list of the additional materials you’ll need to use this kit. Don’t worry! You don’t need to purchase any of the materials listed below because all of those can be found in the comfort of your home. Afterward, we will give you a detailed step-by-step instructional guide on how to do paint by numbers.
List of Additional Materials You’ll Need for the Activity
Before you start painting, make sure that you have the materials listed below to make the creative process easier on your end. Thus, having all the materials nearby before you start painting will help you avoid discomfort as you only have to concentrate on painting instead of going outside your work area to look for the materials you need.
- One or two cups of water- necessary when cleaning the brushes in between color transitions and after the painting session when you can’t finish the canvas in one sitting.
- Rags or tissue papers- help in drying the brushes faster after you clean them up.
- Large cardboard and binder clips- can be used to temporarily clip on your Paint by Numbers Canvas for a sturdier surface.
- Old plastic cover or newspapers- can be used to covers your working surface to avoid unwanted spills in the area.
White corrector pen- this is optional but you may wanna use this whenever you’ll paint areas with light colors. Simply erase the number on the area using this before you apply your acrylic paint.
How to Do Paint by Numbers: A Step-by-step Guide
You’re now in the section that you’ve been waiting for where we teach you in detail how to do paint by numbers. This activity is really simple and as a general rule, you only have to MATCH THE NUMBER ON THE CANVAS ACCORDING TO ITS CORRESPONDING COLOR.
- Open the Paint by Numbers kit. Best Paint by Numbers provides everything you need to help you get started: a pre-printed canvas, a set of acrylic paint, and a set of basic brushes.
- Find cardboard that is large enough to fit the canvas and using binder clips, clip the canvas to the cardboard so that you’ll have a sturdy surface to work on during your painting session.
- Prepare your workspace. Make sure that the area that you’ll use for this painting activity is clean, well-lit, and has minimal distractions. Otherwise, it would be unpleasant to work on your paint by numbers kit.
- Prepare the materials listed above. As mentioned, the material listed can be found at your home and they will help make the painting process easier.
- Start painting. Of course, you need to match the number on the canvas according to its assigned color on your kit. It is best to work with one number at a time so that other paint pots not in use will be closed to avoid drying. To avoid your paint from smudging on the canvas, simply work your way from top to bottom, painting from left to right.
- Repeat instruction number five until you have finished painting the whole canvas.
Important Notes to Remember!
Knowing how to do paint by numbers is not enough as you also need to know some tips and tricks for your canvas to become a masterpiece.
- Watch YouTube tutorials so that you can paint by numbers like a pro! There are many tutorials on the internet that can teach you how to blend seamlessly so that the outcome of your canvas will look even more aesthetically pleasing.
- It’s okay if you can’t finish your canvas in one sitting. Just make sure that you put your unfinished masterpiece in a safe place so that it won’t be ruined.
- Acrylic paint dries fast so make sure to close the paint pots that are not in use to avoid them from drying.
- If you painted the wrong color on a certain shape, simply wait for it to dry and use a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to remove the paint (just be careful doing it).
- Make sure to clean your brushes after your painting sessions to avoid damage. Acrylic paint tends to dry hard on brushes and the damage is often irreversible. Remember, one requirement of a good painting is a good set of brushes.
Final Touches for Your Canvas
After painting your canvas, you can do some touches to make it better, more giftable, aesthetically pleasing, and professionally made. Of course, you need to wait for the artwork to dry down completely before moving forward or you’ll ruin your masterpiece. Once it’s completely dried, you can finally do these things to make it look better:
1. Frame or stretch the canvas: You can either frame your canvas or simply have it stretched if you want your artwork to be a centerpiece on your wall. Many professionals offer the service.
2. Varnish: We encourage you to do this to make your canvas last longer and to protect it from dirt, grime, and damage from the sun’s UV rays. Varnishes come in three finishes: matte, gloss, and satin. You can find these at your local arts and crafts store.
3. Hang it to your wall: The goal of most artworks is to use them as decoration. Paint by numbers kits is often used as a centerpiece to a wall so that you can cherish the memories for a lifetime.