A slice of creativity and imagination is very essential in this time of pandemic, especially for the kids because it disrupts negative thoughts and feelings, as well as the many other benefits to their physical and mental health. It’s also fun and worth the time.
Arts and crafts at home can be extremely messy at times but with proper adult supervision, activities with kids could be really fun and enjoyable. In this article, we will provide several arts and crafts at home activities, as well as other activities for kids that you might want to consider doing for your next arts and crafts day.
The pandemic this year has truly impacted our lives, mostly in a negative way. Some of us struggle just to get out of bed in the morning and face this on a daily basis. Oftentimes, we feel hopeless and bored, not knowing what to do in the moment or next. If you’re really bored, you might want to consider letting your creativity shine during this hard time.
As adults, it is our responsibility to not let the kids feel the same way we do. Schedule a day every week to do arts and crafts at home and other activities with kids to do away with the boredom. Although the lockdown is over in most places across the world, we still remain socially distant from our loved ones who are far from home. So, the best thing we can do is to get closer to the people inside our home. There are so many things to do during this time of pandemic, as long as you’re willing to try new things.
Arts and Crafts activities that both kids and adults can enjoy
Many parents forget to bond with their kids these days because of modern technology—either the kids are busy playing with their phones or parents are busy with their phones… or both. Doing arts and crafts at home is extremely beneficial to children and parents as well. It promotes creativity, socialization, productivity, and critical thinking. Best of all, you create a memorable moment with them.
Apart from scrapbooking, doing origami and creating bookmarks, there are hundreds of ways to spend time and carry out activities with kids. Here are some suggestions for your next arts and crafts at home adventure:
- D.I.Y. Tie-dye shirts--Bring out your old white shirt or you can also try towels, pillowcases, plain tote bags, etc. with this method and make it colorful using simple materials (no tie dye kit needed!) and a very simple method, too!
- Mason jar vases--You probably have a collection of mason jars lurking somewhere in your house, dusty and unused. Make them useful and transform them into vases for flowers or use them as storage for objects like pens and pencils. It’s simple, minimalistic, and easy to do!
- Shrink plastic keychain--Shrink plastic crafts have been a thing since the 1970s. This DIY keychain (although it can be used for so many other things) is simple and great for kids, yet adult supervision is still required. The great things about this are that it’s eco-friendly, only requires recycled materials and is almost cost-free! It’s adorable, colorful and great to personalize our pencil case, bags, denim jackets, etc.
- Cardboard Organizers--Do you have plenty of unwanted cardboard lying around your house? This super simple recycled organizer that comes from cardboard will surely keep you and the kids busy for hours! The outcome features two drawers and multiple dividers, making it a great space saver and holder for your accessories, keys, etc.
- Painting--To keep you and the kids’ minds and hands busy, you should definitely consider painting as your next project. The world is full of wonderful things despite the pandemic, and that is why there are so many reasons why you should paint. It is great to introduce Paint by Numbers to children during the early part of their life so that they can develop an interest in art. Paint by Numbers is simple, easy to use, and hassle-free. You don’t need to worry about your technical skills and the materials. With Paint by Numbers, we got you covered! There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of selections to choose from with Paint by Numbers. You can recreate famous paintings like Van Gogh’s Starry Night, different landscapes, flowers, animals, the list goes on. But if you’re up for a challenge, you can have your own photo turned into a Custom Paint by Numbers canvas! Simply upload your photo and your photo will be transformed into a pre-printed canvas that you can paint.
- Diamond Painting--A new way to awaken your artistic senses. Diamond Painting is a cross-breed between cross-stitching and paint by numbers. The art uses tiny diamonds to create colorful designs and patterns that sparkle and dazzle as an end result. The process is simple: match the number of the diamonds to the numbers pre-printed on the canvas. Once finished, you’ll get a very stunning and sparkly finished artwork.
- Slime-making--There’s something satisfying about slime and that’s why children love it. The colorful aura, squishy texture and the entertaining slime-making process make it one of the perfect activities to do with kids when staying indoors. It allows the kids (and the adults) stay busy for hours.
- Decoupage—This is the art of decorating objects by gluing colored paper or magazine cut-outs, incorporating special paint effects, glitter, and other decorative elements. This activity is great for kids (and adults) to show their personality with a creative flare.
Be creative everyday
Apart from doing D.I.Y. activities and arts and crafts at home, you can also make use of the time to teach your children how to cook or bake, a day for general cleaning, watching movies, reading books, and so much more.
To make the days more enjoyable, it is highly recommended that parents should set a schedule for the week, to keep everyone occupied in the house without always relying on smartphones and other gadgets for entertainment. Set a schedule for arts and crafts at home day, do-it-yourself activities day, or even paint by numbers day. In that way, everyone at home will become busy and complain less about being bored.